Ever since I discovered the Terry’s Chocolate Orange balls years ago, I’ve been enamored of the chocolate-orange alliance. Citrus and chocolate seems like a weird combination, but it works so wonderfully well.
I don’t know why it never occurred to me until now to try a fudge version of those chocolate orange treats, but better late than never.
- Zest of one orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
- Heat the orange zest, orange juice, sugar, butter, and milk over medium heat to a full, rolling boil in 3 qt. heavy sauce pan, stirring constantly.
- Boil on medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees F, stirring constantly.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the chips to the mix.
- Stir in the marshmallow creme.
- Stir until the mixture thickens and starts to look dull, and pour it into the foil-lined or buttered cake pan. Let it cool for a couple of hours, then cut it into bite-sized squares.
- Store the fudge in air-tight containers.