Soy-free orange sauce is good on whatever protein or veggies you want to eat: chicken, tofu, wings, stir fry veggies, etc. The balsamic vinegar and salt substitute quite nicely for the soy sauce.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Zest of one medium to large orange
- Juice of one medium to large orange
- 1/3 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut amino acids (or 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1/4 tsp salt)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 inch ginger, finely minced, or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 stick celery, finely minced
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced (optional)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Combine all but the For Later ingredients in a small pan.
- Bring to a boil over a medium high heat.
- Decrease the heat to medium, and simmer until the mixture is reduced by about half, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the cornstarch and 2 tbsp water, stirring until smooth.
- Add the starch mix to the sauce.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Mix some of the sauce with your protein and serve.