Crispy rice cereal treats were one of the first treats I learned how to make. It requires heat and a pan, but the recipe was so simple that even my 12-year-old self could do it, and I wasn’t particularly coordinated. (You don’t want to know what happened to the first batch of chocolate chip cookies I ever made. Disaster!)
I go years without making them, and then one day, I get an urge to whip up a batch. This time, the urge hit while I was in the cereal aisle picking up my usual box of plain Cheerios. I noticed a box of chocolate-flavored crispy rice cereal, and my brain when, “Hmm!”
Playing on the flavors of the Red Hot Fudge that I love so much, I decided to give this batch of crispy rice the same treatment and see what happened. Crispy red hot love, indeed!
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal, chocolate flavor
- 1 10 oz. package marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Spray a 9×12 cake pan with cooking spray and set aside. (Do not let a wandering cat lick the pan, or you will have to wash the pan and start over.)
- Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Add the cinnamon and cayenne pepper and stir until evenly distributed.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Pour the marshmallow/butter mixture over the cereal.
- Stir until the cereal is well coated.
- Using a buttered spatula or buttered hands, press mixture into the cat-free pan.
- Cool and cut into 2-inch squares.
- Store in an air-tight container.